Senior lecturer, PhD
orlova [at] ukma.edu.ua
- PhD: Mass Communications, a joint program of the Autonomous University of Barcelona, Spain, and National University of Kyiv-Mohyla Academy, Ukraine (March 2013), dissertation topic: “Representation of ‘Europe’ in the Mediatized Discourse of Ukrainian Political Elites”.
- MA (with Honors): Political Science and European Studies, National University of Kyiv-Mohyla Academy, Ukraine (2008)
- BA (with Honors): Political Science, National University of Kyiv-Mohyla Academy, Ukraine (2006)
TEACHING, ACADEMIC AND PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE
- Senior lecturer, Mohyla School of Journalism, National University of Kyiv-Mohyla Academy, Ukraine (January 2010-present)
- Visiting Assistant Professor, Center for Russian, East European and Eurasian Studies, Stanford University, USA (March-June 2016)
- Senior Local Media Specialist, “The Ukraine Media Project Performance Evaluation” (USAID-funded), Social Impact (August-November 2015)
- Editor of the European Journalism Observatory website, Ukrainian version (2012-2015)
- Staff writer at the Kyiv Post, a Ukrainian weekly newspaper run in the English language (2007-2008)
- Intern at the Parliament of Canada, Canada-Ukraine Parliamentary Program (May-June 2005)
- Intern at the Verkhovna Rada, Parliament of Ukraine, Department of Inter-parliamentary relations (2005)
- Intern at the Institute of Mass Information (2004)
- Lead researcher, “The state of journalism education in Ukraine”, Detector Media NGO (2016)
- Lead researcher, “The coverage of the conflict in the East by the Ukrainian Media: investigating the values, guidelines, and practices of the journalists”, Detector Media NGO (2016)
- Project coordinator, “Monitoring of RT news coverage on Ukraine: analysis of RT’s adherence to professional standards of unbiased and fair reporting”, Mohyla School of Journalism (June-August 2015)
- Researcher, “Comparative study of media framing of the conflict in Eastern Ukraine”, a joint international project led by the Södertörn University, Stockholm, Sweden (February-September 2015)
PRESENTATIONS, PUBLICATIONS, TALKS
“Between professionalism and activism: Ukrainian journalism in the post-Euromaidan Ukraine”, ECREA 2016 Conference, Prague, Czech Republic (November 9-12, 2016).
“Covering ‘our war’: dilemmas and challenges for Ukrainian journalism” (with Daria Taradai), CBEES Annual Conference, The Centre for Baltic and Eastern European Studies, Södertörn University, Stockholm, Sweden (December 3-4, 2015).
“Dilemmas of covering ‘our war’: evidence from media content and Ukrainian journalists’ first-hand accounts”, Workshop “Tweeting the War – Social Media and War Coverage in Ukraine”, second part, Freie Universität Berlin, Berlin, Germany (November 17-20, 2015)
“Covering ‘Our War’: Analysis of Ukrainian Media Response to the Conflict in Eastern Ukraine”,
Workshop “Tweeting the War – Social Media and War Coverage in Ukraine”, Kyiv, Ukraine (October 2015).
“Ukraine as ‘Not-Yet-Europe’: Self-Orientalism in the Mediatized Discourse of Ukrainian Political Elites”, Conference “Orientalism, Colonial Thinking and the Former Soviet Periphery”, Vilnius University, Lithuania (August 2015).
“‘Ukraine Conflict’ Mirrored in Ukrainian Media: Analysis of Daily Newspapers” (with Daria Taradai), CEECOM 2015, Zagreb, Croatia (June 2015).
“Coverage of the conflict in Eastern Ukraine by Ukrainian media: analysis of daily newspapers” (with Daria Taradai), Platform Ukraine conference, University College London, UK (June 2015)
‘Europe’ in Ukrainian Public Discourse: a Normative Model and the Desired ‘Other’, a workshop on “Popular Geopolitics in Russia and post-Soviet Eastern Europe”, University College London, UK (February 2015)
“When Media Freedom Lacks: How Ukrainian Journalists Utilized Facebook During 2012 Parliamentary Election” (with Daria Taradai), NCA, Washington, DC (November 2013)
“Political TV Talk Shows in the post-Orange Ukraine: a Case of an Emerging Public Sphere?”, Fifth Bi-annual Graudate Student Symposium, Centre for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies at Munk School of Global Affairs, University of Toronto, Canada (January 2012)
“Representation of Europe in the Public Discourse of Ukraine’s Political Elites,” presented at the Sixth Annual Danyliw Research Seminar on Contemporary Ukraine, Chair of Ukrainian Studies, University of Ottawa, Canada (October 2010) and NCA, San Francisco, USA (November 2010)
- Orlova, D. (2017). ‘Europe’as a Normative Model in the Mediatised Discourse of Ukrainian Political Elites. Europe-Asia Studies, 69(2), 222-241.
- Orlova, D. (2016). Ukrainian media after the EuroMaidan: in search of independence and professional identity. Publizistik, 61(4), 441-461.
- Nygren, G., Glowacki, M., Hök, J., Kiria, I., Orlova, D., & Taradai, D. (2016). Journalism in the Crossfire: Media coverage of the war in Ukraine in 2014. Journalism Studies, 1-20.
- Orlova, D. (2016). EuroMaidan: Mediated Protests, Rituals and Nation-in-the-Making. In Media Events: A Critical Contemporary Approach (pp. 207-229). Palgrave Macmillan UK.
- Orlova, D., & Taradai, D. (2016). Facebook as an alternative public space: The use of Facebook by Ukrainian journalists during the 2012 parlimentary election. Central European Journal of Communication, 9(16), 37-56.
- Orlova, D. (2012). “Political TV Talk Shows in the Post-Orange Ukraine: a Case of an Emerging Public Sphere?”. Magisterium, Journalism. Vol. 49, NaUKMA.
- Orlova, D. (2010). Standards of Media Coverage of Elections in Ukraine. Working Papers of the Institute for Broadcasting Economics at the University of Cologne. http://www.rundfunk-institut.uni-koeln.de/institut/pdfs/27710.pdf
Talks, lectures etc.
- “Between Professionalism and Activism: Ukrainian Journalists in Search of Professional Identity. Implications for Democratization of Post-Maidan Ukraine”, a talk at the Centre for Russian, East European and Eurasian Studies, Stanford University (May 13, 2016)
- “Ukrainian media and the new challenges”, a talk at the conference “Populism, Authoritarianism, and the Media: The Age of Mediocracy and Mediacracy”, Prague Media Point Conference (November 12-14, 2015)
- “‘EuroMaidan’ and Conflict in the Eastern Ukraine in the Mirror of Media. Media Coverage vs. Information Warfare”, a lecture at Erich Brost Institute for International Journalism, Technical University of Dortmund, Germany (January 2015)
- “‘Bottom-up’ Participation Culture at Ukrainian EuroMaidan: the Role of Old and New Media”, a lecture at NaUKMA Summer School for Foreign Students, National University of “Kyiv-Mohyla Academy”, Ukraine (August 2014)
- “Ukrainian Media Landscape: Twenty Years of Ukraine’s Independence”, a lecture at Erich Brost Institute for International Journalism, Technical University of Dortmund, Germany (April 2012)
Research interests: media transformations in transition countries, post-Soviet media systems, political communication, media representations, media and identity, journalism cultures, discourse analysis.
Ukrainian – native
Russian – fluent
English – fluent